Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Letter

Good morning Jumble Mashers! My next guest post is brought to you by Bubbles. She is incredibly talented, creative and very sweet. She chose to write about something that she is passionate about. Enjoy!


Dear Nobody in Particular

How are you today? I've been wondering how people in 2011 feel about good old fashioned snail mail.... I can hear you say what! Why on earth would I consider writing a letter when there are a million other ways to communicate, why should I spend my time with pen and paper....

Imagine receiving a letter that isn't a bill, isn't a bank statement, isn't a leaflet selling something.....
Imagine a chapter of a book but its not black and white and smelling stale
Imagine each and every word and letter formed especially for you...
The writing on the envelope isn't a typed address but a beautiful hand written piece of text which makes your heart leap because you know who its from.
the envelope is a dirty brown but a beautiful decorate piece of art work....
the stamp itself is unique and fun and you actually stop and think for a moment that maybe you should start a stamp collection...
or maybe not as it looks great just where it is....

Then you actually open the envelope....
the words leap out at you and you're already in your mind replying to each and every word!
That's what makes a great letter you know, where you sit down and before you know it you've written a chapter...
Its where you can write everything and anything down on paper
and someone somewhere is reading every word and taking their time to reply and give advice whether or not its what you want to hear.
You will find you share more with this friend then you do with people right in front of you,
it will help put situations niggling at the back of your mind in to better perspective.
The friendship doesn't stop there it continues when they are on holiday and send you a postcard and occasionally buy you a special gift like any other friend.


For me it doesn't stop there,
I love shopping for cute writing paper to match my mood,
the loves of my friend
or just the season at that time.
To decorate my letters with colourfully writing
stickers and tapes...
The only problem is that before I sit down to write I try and choose the paper that seems right at that time
but it turns in to a struggle as I want to use them all... maybe next time only next time I go through all the same thing again.

I wrap the letter up and send it on its way and my friend has now got a similar situation to face...
its just all goes around in one circle..
Still I prefer it to a phone call where there are constant boring pauses
you run out things to say but you want the other person to put it down,
the time isn't right when they phone...
Its better then an e-mail that you can never seem to find the time to reply to because you want to
blog,
look for a holiday,
buy something....
I'll reply to it tomorrow,
ok I'll reply to it tomorrow
only tomorrow never comes....

If you still aren't convinced that snail mail is great

why not take part in make my day

and I will share a tiny ounce
of what my life is about.
It is my life since writing letters is something I have done for the last 20 years!

So what do you think of snail mail in 2011?



Yours

Bubbles.

10 comments:

Brent Wescott said...

All I ever get in my mailbox is bills and ads. It might be nice to get something interesting to read from a friend.
It Just Got Interesting

Aga said...

I love snail mail! :D In 2011 or in any other year;)

Oilfield Trash said...

Great guest post.

Anonymous said...

I personally love snail mail. When I was away at college I used to go to my mailbox every other day hoping to find a letter from a friend in there and I almost always did. It just brightened up my day knowing that someone else cared enough to take the time to write me back. I hate email and rarely use it and a telephone, come on I only use that for twitter, lol. Love writing letters :D

Teresa said...

great post! having been the recipient of a "make my day" post, i can tell you that getting a letter frm bubbles is just wonderful! snail mail is one of the reasons i love to make and send cards to people. it's just so rewarding to create something with someone in mind and to send it off. i just wish that people (in their busy lives) would slow down enough to let me know they've received it (some do; some don't). i just have to assume (since I have their addresses correct) that they receive it.

Bubbles said...

Thanks JM for the experience of guest posting, as I mentioned I've never done it before so its quite weird but nice to see something you've written somewhere else.

Rebecca said...

i love snail mail

katsidhe said...

Letter writing is a beautiful art that is so tragically overlooked anymore.

Lovely post.~

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

As someone who has been pen paling since she was 14 I can say I love writing and receiving letters.

Although I do not hand write my letters as my hand writting is atrocious so I do my letters on the computer and I love to add photos of my family to my letters they usually end up being between 6 and 10 pages long.

I do not write "form" letters each one is directed to who I am replying to none of this "dear friend" I ask about things mentioned in their letter to me and tell about my life and family.

PencilGirl said...

Beautiful post... I'm going to go write a letter to my friend right now.. Or maybe after I finish writing today's post.
Thank you Bubbles! I think we all need to remember how wonderful it feels when someone takes the time to actually write something for us. It's one of the most thoughtful gifts of these times, I guess.. :)