Friday, July 16, 2010

Alan Wake



So, I'm a total gamer geek. So much that my significant other is the manager of a popular video game store and that's one of the reasons why I love him so much. Hehe. It makes me happy when he brings me games to try out. So I introduce to you, Alan Wake.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I could go on and on about how good this game looks and how fantastic the visuals are, but you can get a glimpse of that in the screen shot.

Here is Wikipedia's description of the game:

The plot follows suspense-thriller writer Alan Wake in uncovering the mystery behind the disappearance of his wife while on vacation in idyllic small-town Bright Falls, and having to deal with blackouts and visions of characters and ideas from his latest novel, which he can't remember writing, coming to life.

Through some parts of this game, I am utterly bored. You have to watch a lot of clips. Granted, they are necessary for the story line, but it seems like I watched more than I played. Then, the parts that you actually get to play are pretty freaking awesome. It's a thriller, action, adventure type of game and you have to kill these people that have the darkness in them with a flash light and a gun. The flash light 'rids the darkness' and then you can pop a couple of bullets in them. BUT the game play actually stops to show you where your enemies are approaching from. So, nothing really surprises you, unless of course one gets behind you and starts chopping you up with his axe.
You have to go through and beat little missions that lead you to your final mission and each ones unravels a little part of the mystery. If anything, I had to keep playing this game to find out what happened next. It really keeps you interested if you like suspense thrillers.

All in all, it was a good game and I felt very accomplished when I finished it. Would I play it again? Probably not. But there are very few that I would.

Enjoy this awesome video clip from the escapistmagazine.com. This dude reviews like every game out there and its hilarious!!





No comments: