Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Dresden Files

Whew. It’s been awhile since I’ve done a book review. It’s been awhile since I’ve finished a book. Boyfriend talked me into reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It is a fantasy/mystery series about a wizard named Harry Dresden who finds himself in trouble quite often.

I’ve only gotten to read the first book which is called Storm Front, but it was freakin’ awesome. I bought a three pack set at Barnes and Nobel and absolutely cannot wait to start on the second book. There are 13 books in the series thus far with the 13th one due out in March.


It takes place in Chicago, where Harry works as a wizard private eye and is on retainer at the Chicago PD’s Special Investigation Unit. In Harry’s world, magic, werewolves, vampires, demons, etc. are real, except humans don’t know it. So everyone pretty much gets a laugh out of Harry’s wizard status.

The first book pretty much introduces Harry and the type of magic he can and cannot due. It starts out kind of slow and I had hard time getting through some of the first chapters, but when it takes off, it takes off with a bang. It’s a complete page turner.

Harry is also investigating a series of murders that he believes can only be done by another wizard. But since Harry is the only known wizard in the area, he is a taking a lot of heat.

Harry must find the killer to not only prevent anymore murders, but to also save his own hide. But when the supernatural creatures of his world get wind that Harry is on the case, they will do anything to stop him. But Harry also has friends in low places and incredible motivation to keep on keeping-on.

I really like this series because Harry has a lot of flaws and isn’t completely perfect and good at everything like one Mr. Cullen. He is bad at relationships, but good with magic. Even though he is a wizard though, his magic is limited.

Harry has an awesome sense of humor and is a smart ass most of the time. He is chivalrous and old fashioned. I absolutely adore his character.

There is also a series on TV appropriately called The Dresden Files, but I have heard bad things about it. I refuse to watch it until I’ve finished the series.

5 comments:

Dana Strotheide said...

Gah! I just started reading The Dresden Files too! Beware, they are ridiculously addictive. My Kindle may be partly to blame for that, since I don't have to go anywhere to buy the next book, but I cruise through those so fast. LOVE Harry. :) Love your blog too! I came here from Epbot and Jen's interview. :) You're definitely being added to my Google Reader. :)

Tress said...

Welcome Dana! I'm so glad to hear that you are reading them too!! My weakness is the Nook. I have so many books just sitting in there waiting to be read. I'm so behind!!

Dana Strotheide said...

It's ridiculously addictive. :) I can't wait to hear how you like the rest!

snarkygurl said...

Found you through your interview with Jen and I'm almost finished working my way through your blog (I like it). I'm only posting now because of the comment about hearing that the TV version of Dresden Files sucked. Nope, not at all. In fact, it was one of the few shows left that I watched before ditching cable. It's not really the same thing as the book - the stories are different, as are the characters. It's more like you have two books with the same title, character names, and themes--but it's written by a different author and goes in a different direction. Personally, I think they're both pretty awesome... and it doesn't hurt that the actor playing Harry is a cutie.

Tress said...

Snarkygurl...Welcome and thanks for telling me! I am totally going to Netflix it now. I have been extremely curious but everyone keeps telling me not to watch it because its nothing like the book, blah blah blah. But ya know what? I'm not gonna listen to them anymore. Nope. I'm gonna listen to you. Because you like my blog, so that must mean you have good taste, right? Haha.