Monday, January 3, 2011

Guest Blogger

Thank you so much to Morgan from The Adorkable Ditz' Missteps for giving me the day off today. I'm still feeling yucky, but better than before. Morgan decided to write a letter to her younger self and I think it is wonderful and very thoughtful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And after you are done reading it...go check out her blog!

Dear 13 year old Morgan,



This is your 18 year old self. Yes, time travel, isn’t it wonderful? No there is no shrinking/growing ray like you made ideas for back in middle school (although it is still a bad ass invention that should be made), and no high school isn’t what you think it’s going to be. The reason why I’m taking the time to write this to you is to help you, reassure you , that everything will be alright.


At the beginning of your band career nothing will change. People will still ignore you, still call you names behind your back, sabotage your reputation like you had one in the first place, but guess what? You’re going to get through it. You will make a few close friends and the rest of them, be nice, but just fuck them. You know why? They may seem nice and what not but the majority of the band isn’t going to give a rat’s ass about you until you finally grow up. I won’t go into detail because that may alter what happened and make me totally different and such, just be sure that I know what I’m talking about. I mean, I already lived through it.


No you won’t go straight to a university like Mom and Dad said you were going to, and in fact, you’re not even moving! As far as right now things are going to stay in the same house and you will get a scholarship at the community college. Trust me, you think that you’re letting everyone down, but it’s the best for your sanity. You will not do all AP classes all throughout high school but be glad, you actually get to have a life, and sleep. Oh and by the way, get more sleep. There are these gnarly bags under my eyes that never seem to go away.


Don’t worry about boys, boys are trouble (you will find out what I mean soon), they can be nice but don’t spend too much time on them, the ones that will make the best impact on your life will fall right into your lap. But I will tell you one thing, just because you lost contact with S and B doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way, but if a boy does come around, stick to your girlfriends first. They will have your back always.


Please please please please…do something with your looks. That whole nothing but a ponytail, jeans and t-shirt thing doesn’t work very much after middle school. Jazz it up, use make up, get into dresses! Skirts even! You are a beautiful person, you might not believe me now, but you will eventually. Stop pulling your hair! All it does is make you bald, there is enough stress with life and such to worry about something, get into another hobby please!

You will get through high school, you got through middle school didn’t you? Yeah sure the pulling and cutting seemed like that was the only way to cope, yes lots of stuff happened and you found out that your brother was Autistic was hard, but you’re going to get through it honey.


Here are some things that I will warn you about through your journey through high school. Do not quit band in any way shape or form, it may seem like it’s hard but you’ll get through it, if anything get into the piccolo junior year!!!! That will make things a lot better on your self esteem, you will become the best player in the section. Get a better relationship with the director, because of my shyness I was more miserable than I needed to be, be assertive.

You may think that everyone is out to get you but everyone isn’t. People will come to you to help them get out of a mess that they have made. There will be a few horrible teachers that you will hate, but after freshman year it gets a lot better.


Follow your gut, that will save you in more ways than you can imagine. Just wait till you start driving!


Alright, I got to go, be nice to the family and don’t end things with yourself. You will make it.


Love,
Your future self




P.S. I hope you’ll be glad being me when you’re ready.

21 comments:

Jon Hanson said...

I've seen a lot of the "give advice to your younger" self posts lately but haven't done one myself.

This post actually gives me an idea to put my own twist on it... hmmm... better not give too much away... (looks at the ceiling and strokes chin deep in thought)

SD
simpledudecomplexworld.blogspot.com

Bubbles said...

Its a shame you can't get these letter for real at that moment in time to give you the strength through tough situations but also to maybe take a different path if your able to.

Maybe you could do one to your olderself of what you expect in that time frame so you can go back and check it and see how right you were.

Not the Hero said...

Know what I want, I want a letter from myself in the future. Just wake up one morning and have it in my mailbox. I think I might write an imaginary letter from my future self to myself right now. Being extrememly vague so as to not change the future, but uplifting enough that I can read it and not worry about anything for a while.

Southhamsdarling said...

Good guest post. I think this is such a good idea, but agree with Not the Hero. It would be lovely to receive a letter NOW from our future, if you see what I mean!

AmberLaShell said...

great guest post, I have always wanted to write a note to myself, but don't know what to write,,,maybe i will give it some more thought...

@jumble mash - try you local community college, they have adult continuing education classes that are just one class, not credit, that is where i found mine...

amberlashell.com

BB said...

I had to do something similar as part of my 30 Days of Truths. It was pretty easy for me. This was good considering that you're not much older than 13 but apparently have learned an awful lot. Good job AD.

JM,,,feel better sweetie!

Jon Hanson said...

@ Jumble - I don't want to post about my followers and how many I have gained on my own blog for fear of coming off as arrogant / bragging and pushing them away!

But since you asked I can let you know... as of this afternoon I think I have gained around 425 followers and counting since the BONing on Friday. I have tripled the number I had last week - it's pretty wild.

And my page views are insane. I have gotten more page views each one of the last 3 days then I got the entire month of December.

Lets hope they all stay!

SD
http://simpledudecomplexworld.blogspot.com/

Tress said...

@SD- WOW! If you look over there to your right...your guest post is at the top of my most viewed pages list. That thing hasn't changed in months until now! So I guess I'm getting some of the benefits of your BONing :)

Tress said...

Thank you all so much for the well wishes. I am getting better...just still feeling really weak.

Lyndylou said...

wow AD, that was some post. Very well written and so cool that you got through all that crap. Keep smiling.

Jm get better soon x

http://lyndylou-whocares.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

great post and JM hope you enjoyed your day off

caterpillar said...

How I wish I could get such letters every now and then from my Older selves...life would have been soooooo much easier..... Nice post... :)

hed said...

Good post Morgan! I think us girls all have the same "you'll be talked about behind your back" story in high school...girls suck! Am I right?

I'm glad you have the wisdom to write this and the heart to share it.

hed www.hedabovewater.com

Belle said...

Excellent guest post. I was moved by it, and it made me wish I could go back in time and talk to me.

that guy said...

great job morgan!

and JM- eat some chicken noodle soup and put a hot towel over your head...or something like that...

Bruce
bruce johnson jadip
evilbruce
stupid stuff i see and hear
Bruce’s guy book
the guy book

Chief aka Dad http://unsoundreasoning.blogspot.com said...

If my older self wrote to me...it would just be to set me up for a joke :-) Nice post.

On My Soapbox said...

Wow, that was good. Now you've got me wondering what I would say to my 18 year old self. I think it would be a whole 'nother blog post in itself.

Megan. said...

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but there's a website that lets you write a letter, then it gets emailed to you on a future, specified date. I wrote one when I was 16, and had it emailed to me on my 18th birthday. It was pretty awesome to see all my thoughts and feelings as a 16 year old, and to see all my expectations of what I thought my life was going to be.

Yvonne said...

Great job Morgan! I've often wished I could go back in time and have myself via a letter or in person, sit me down and talk to me straight.

Corey Wilkey said...

yes Morgan, fantastic! I love it! I have done a few of these to myself in the past, and i think they are seriously great :)

not displayed said...

Wonderful post Morgan. I loved it.

Hey if anybody want to see more of this awesome girl, she is over at my place today too.

Dribble...